Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Six Degrees of Evan Williams

Yesterday was quite a day. I was on my way to do a singing telegram. There was no locale to change in, so I did so in a coffee shop. I was dressed as a cake, and it was a little rainy outside. Kids walked past me and yelled, "Hey, I want a piece of cake."

Another said, "I want a bite." Note, these were young whippersnappers.

Then I hear, "APRIL BRUCKER!"

Anyway, I was down the street from the locale when I saw my friend Evan Williams. Evan is a comedian who performs with me from time to time. Anyway, Evan is a funny dude from North Carolina. Like me, he speaks with a bit of a twang. With him he had another comedian friend whom I did a show with once. Evan mentioned he was house manager for a sober living facility down the street and was coming from work. Wit him was this other friend who was going to walk dogs. We chatted for a bit, caught off, and the three of us were on our way. It was a nifty little spring God shot on a Monday.

I got to the place where I was to deliver, and changed my shoes in the doorway. I was greeted by a very sweet but very suspicious young man. He asked me what I was doing there. I mentioned I didnt live there and he ordered me to leave. I took a deep breath. I explained why I was there and he asked if I had a name. I explained what was going on. The young man dropped his defense and apologized. I explained it was no big deal, it was New York. You could never be too careful.

A second later my contact Sierra came. She explained it was a Sober House, and I had just been greeted by a resident. No wonder the young man was so defensive. In an environment like that, many have just relapsed or have come home from treatment. Also, it was mostly young men. So yeah, didn't quite belong.

As she mentioned that it was a sober living facility I asked, "Do you know my friend Evan? I think he works here."

"Yeah Evan. How do you know Evan?"

"Oh, we perform comedy together. I just saw him on my way here." I explained.

Sierra was like, "No shit! What a small world."

"Yup."

Did the telegram and all went well. It was kind of crazy in a good way. It was a gentle reminder that the world was not as big, bad and vicious as I thought it was. Rather it was small and could be a kind place too. And in some way, we are all connected.

So yeah, how are you connected to Evan Williams?

Love
April
I Came, I Saw, I Sang: Memoirs of a Singing Telegram Delivery Girl
www.aprilbrucker.com


Come see me April 22nd @ 7pm
Metropolitan Room
34 W. 22nd st. 

No comments:

Post a Comment