Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My Reggie Bush Experience

It makes me sad to read that Reggie Bush will be losing his Heisman. During the 2005 Heisman Awards I got to meet Reggie Bush and his family. All and all I would have to say that they were nice folks. At first I thought Reggie came off as a too cool for school kind of jock. But then I heard his Heisman acceptance speech which still brings tears to my eyes when I think of it. Basically, he began by thanking his coaches and then moved to his family. It was especially sentimental when he spoke about his step dad who adopted him. I believe his words were, "To my step dad, I mean dad......You stepped in to be my father when I didn't have one." And from there good old Reggie began to cry. It wasn't a trickle or a sob, he went on for a good minute. You would need to have a heart of stone not to feel for the guy. My perception of Reggie changed from that moment forward. This wasn't some big headed idiot who happened to be good at football. Reggie was a poor kid who had been through some shit and now here he was. Not to mention good old Matt Leinart voted for him during the balloting of the Heisman's when his former teammate could have voted for himself in order to dethrone Archie Griffin and to win again. This act alone spoke volumes about the friendshop and bond these two teammates shared.

Sure, Reggie dates that Kardashian skankola. I don't know anything about that. He seems like a happy guy. I just remember a kid who was good at playing football that wasn't given very many breaks in life that acted with utmost humility when it was his turn to shine. I remember the Reggie Bush who gave Matt Leinart a huge man hug when he realized his former teammate and friend voted for him. I remember the Reggie Bush who's family had the box of tissues.

Maybe his family got some rewards. Well Reggie was good at playing football. So he may have broken the rules a little. Reggie isn't like former Heisman Winner OJ Simpson who beat, stalked, harassed, and ultimately killed his late wife. Yet not only does OJ get to keep his Heisman but his picture still hangs amongst the winners of the award whereas Reggie's will be taken down and it will be as if he never existed. People will say Reggie Bush was just another black kid who worked the system too. Truth be told those who say that shit have never been broke a day in their life and have never been down. Maybe he broke the rules but who doesn't cheat?

I am glad good old Reggie is having a fruitful pro career. Wish I could say the same for Leinart who I met and liked as well. I have all their signatures on my little football at home. Reggie, someday yours will be worth millions. And though people might disrespect you now, one thing is for sure, some of us out there know the truth about who you really are. I happen to be one of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment