Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Growing and Changing: My Christmas Blog

Christmas sometimes is a holiday for the young. I guess it is the whole Santa thing. A white haired guy breaks all physical barriers and slides down the chimey despite his size and the fact it killed the girl's father in Gremlins 2. Adults find fault. Children believe readily.

The whole concept of growing and changing started yesterday. My Aunt Jeanie's dog is getting bigger. I mean bear size. Burlgars beware. My cousins Colt and Legran are getting older in school. One injured his foot doing Parkour in the back yard to his mother's chagrin. Then my cousin Mindy announced she was pregnant.

Not just pregnant with one baby but WITH TWINS!!! Wait a hot minute. Does your mother know? Did you tell your husband? I remember when she was a beautiful dancer with city ballet and weight gain let alone pregnancy were the last things she wanted. Now she will be gaining plenty of weight. Now she will be eating all the iced cream and pizza she was never allowed to eat as a dancer. But twins! How time flies. This is insane. I thought it was insane when Wendell married Veronique. Now Wendell is talking about his feelings. This is all too much as my grandparents have not one great grandchild but three.

Meara was with her boyfriend, yes a steady in Georgia. Skipper is graduating medical school and going to be a real doctor. She's bright. She's an adult. But in my eyes she is still my baby sister, slipping in my bed when she has nightmares at seven years old; taking my covers. Kicking me. Being the worst bed fellow ever. But now she is no longer Skipper but Dr. Skipper.

My grandfather got his eyes fixed and he read my whole book. So age is changing some for the better.

On my dad's side my cousin Jayce's boyfriend saw me on Korean TV. I like Brendan. I hope he sticks around. I can wait for a wedding. Jennika also has a boyfriend. She is so young I don't know that it is serious. Mema wants a grandbaby though. Rob Fran, my trumpet playing cousin, released his first album but will probably be a bachelor forever. It's not that he doesn't love you baby, he loves everyone. The curse of those of us born under Libra. My grandma asked me and I was like hell no! Baby would be the last thing I wanted. Then she asked about my cousin Kacie who has been with her boyfriend Mike forever. Oh no. Kacie wants to travel the world and possibly get breast implants because her cousin on the other side did. I think she is a snappy lil number but oh well....

But then she said Kristoff would get married-yes the quiet trombone player in the Notre Dame band. The one Manti T'eo signed the Heisman ball for. And we all burst out laughing. Kacie, Mike and I discussed the wedding. We said it would be a duress, disaster, and a surprise. Who would do such a thing? Not me.

My baby cousin's, all four adopted from Russia, are growing up so quick. I remember them when they were small. They were checking the weather in Moscow. Nineteen degrees. That's warm for this time of year and it is only getting colder. Thank God for America.

My baby cousin Matthew, who I remember when he was little but not so little anymore, made the high school All-Star Team.

My other cousin Jesse and my cousin Apollo danced to a Wii game, while Andre played on his phone. Yes, that is what the kids are getting.

I feel old in some ways. Sophisticated that I am accomplishing things. But still unsure of how to handle this whole grown up thing with dignity and grace. Sometimes it is great to know I have freedom, sometimes it sucks because if I break the law they can stick a needle in my arm-no, not the stuff to get me high. The stuff to kill me. As time flies I want to know what happened to my youth and some of my dreams. Granted, sometimes they were more work than intended but still, what happened to time?

As part of me forges ahead and talks about my plans I feel like a Peter Pan's Lost Boy Rufio being left behind in the fairy dust. Despite my TV time I don't own a TV or bed because they cost money. I may always be poor and have surrendered myself to that. I have no husband or man in my sites. I might never marry let alone have children. It's just my puppets, my books, my jokes, my stage time, my TV appearances, and a warm cup of tea and Lifetime Movie in a chilly winter's eve.

But then my Mema, who is trying to break out of the nursing home, who defies doctor's orders tells me she catalogues all the books she reads. The journal is kept in her underwear drawer. I am entry 2000. She has done this practice since she was a little girl. Somethings never change. And it is all for the better.

Love
April
I Came, I Saw, I Sang: Memoirs of a Singing Telegram Girl
877-Buy-Book
www.buybooksontheweb.com
Available on Amazon



Come to my book signing
December 27, 2012 @ 7pm (tomorrow)
Bethel Park Library
5100 West Library Ave
Bethel Park, PA 15102

6 comments:

  1. It was the first Gremlins movie.
    Anyway, interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right.....Sorry I get them confused. It has been a long time since I have seen either Gremlins film. I just remember that story and was like, "AGHHHHHHHH!!!"

    Thanks for clearing that up and thanks for stopping by xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. I was bored last night and decided to watch that TLC show as it was on Netflix. I saw ventriloquist and I had to watch because puppets are scary. How you can actually sleep with them in your apartment is beyond me. :)Lol. Anyway, no offense, but I didn't really buy into your whole obsession, so I googled it, and came across this page. Your obsession is irrelevant to me. I'm an entertainer myself, and we do what we have to do to get some recognition, right? You seem to be making it work for you. Kudos.

    What interested me about your blog, were the posts about relationships, marriage, men, children, being happy being single....

    Like you, I am an attractive, successful single woman. Also like you, I always seem to be reminding myself that I'm happy being single. Do you really think we're happy about it? Why do we justify it so often?

    I mean sure it's fun when I want to prance around in high heels, teased out hair, crazy black eye make up, drink a ton of wine, and sing depressing music at the top of my lungs. Lol. There is no one there to tell me I'm being silly.

    Sometimes it's fun to revel in that alone time, but at the end of the day, do you think it really makes women happy?

    I don't know you from Adam (whoever the hell that is)but some things you typed sounded like they came out of my mind. It's a cyber world, so I thought I'd share.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well to answer your question I think we justify being single as much as we do because the world makes us justify it. When we come home and visit people they ask, "Have you found someone?"

      The answer is usually no and then they press you as to why. Or they try to fix you up. Whatever.

      As for the puppets-they are my children and frankly they are all the family I need. Plus they scare intruders lol.

      You said you were an entertainer. What do you do? xo

      Delete
  4. Lol! I guess they would scare intruders! Nice that you have them. The blonde one reminds me a little of Lucy from Avenue Q.

    I started acting and singing at a young age. I've had small parts in films, I've done commercials, theater, and I've worked as a performer at the theme parks. (I'm in Orlando.)I worked full time for Nickelodeon's STL. Lots of odds and ends! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh well don't we all do odds and ends. I work as a comedian, ventriloquist, and singing telegram delivery person. Plus I am now a booker for the telegram company as well. And I am an actress plus I model and then I wrote a book and freelance. I know the feeling well lolololol

    ReplyDelete