Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Warmth Beneath the Artic

It is literally five degrees in New York City. Freezing. All day it was freezing. I know I have already said that. As a matter of fact my building is an igloo because there is ice covering the front. Oh and I think I saw a polar bear and a penguin walk by. They said, "Screw this. We are moving to Florida."

There has been something refreshing about the cold though. For one, everyone has kind of bonded. For one, we all hate it. We have all been complaining about it. No one likes the fact they have to go out in it to do the most simple of errands. As I walked out to get my coffee I saw store owners salting the sidewalks to fight the impending black ice. Smokers tested their commitment their vice by lighting up in the frigid climate. Ice cycles seemed so comfortable that any wise New York landlord would charge them rent just for living on the ledge.

Yesterday was just depressing. It was a lot of things. The recent death of a hairdresser friend of mine from the neighborhood has been hitting home. Edgardo Rodriguez was one of the first friends I made when I moved to Hell's Kitchen. He styled my hair when the salon downstairs was Blondie's. We talked, we bullshitted. We bonded because Chacho had walked the balls and so did Egardo. We talked about guys and relationships. I had a real friend. I was coming out of a rough time in my life, too. At twenty two, it seemed like I had run a race like John Henry with a locomotive and now I was coming out of it. It was trippy because I only saw him two days earlier. Of course this is the slow time of year for the career. And I am sitting in some uncertainty with work and blah blah blah. So yes, jumping out the window might be an option. Except I might live, break my hip on the ice, and have some interesting explaining to do.

Today I delivered a telegram. It was a chicken. Part of me wanted work to be cancelled because it was freaking cold outside. I went though. Dressed warm with time to kill, I ended up buying two new pairs of earrings. Don't ask me why. I think I just needed something to cheer me up.

I then delivered the telegram. It was a lot of fun. I began with some jokes about being frozen food, hacky I know, and then did my routine. Afterwards, I had cake with everyone where they sang happy birthday again. Some dude broke out an accordion. He joked he began playing in high school with plans to be popular. Anyway, had some of the giant cupcake. The client suggested that I wear my costume home. Anyway, they invited me to drink with them. As a nondrinker I would be no fun. Told the client he had cake on his face. If he calls my boss I was just being polite.

Anyway I wore my chicken costume home. It was warm. Have never done that before and hope to never do it again. As I made my way home I saw a friend texted me. He had a Christmas gift for yours truly. I also got some promising leads on things. As I jumped on the warm train, huddled with the rest of the masses, I realized we were all in the same boat. We were all doing our best, paying our bills, and trying to get through this winter. I also realized that the weather was going to warm up. And perhaps the worst was over.

Now back to my igloo.

I Came, I Saw, I Sang: Memoirs of a Singing Telegram Delivery Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment